Bruce S. Zero is an experienced litigator who spares no effort in uncovering the facts that truly wins cases. In his 37 years of civil litigation and trial experience, Attorney Zero has obtained multiple multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients in the areas including motor vehicle and truck accidents, product liability, medical malpractice and work place injuries. Dedicated to insuring client’s success is his number one priority. Persistence has allowed Bruce to win cases that others don’t believe can be won. His persistence has achieved piece of mind for those who have been seriously injured due to the conduct of others.
Certified as a civil trial specialist and pre-trial civil practice by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, he has consistently been named a PA Super Lawyer since 2007. Additional areas of expertise include insurance law, contract disputes, estates, FELA railroad litigation, criminal law, employment law and municipal law.
Giving back to the community has long been a priority for Attorney Zero. He currently serves as board member to Lackawanna County Pro Bono, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, the Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, and the Lackawanna County Planning Commission. In 2020, he was appointed to the Board of the Pennsylvania Lawyer’s Fund for Client Security by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. He enjoys teaching other lawyers through continuing legal education workshops for the Lackawanna Bar Association, Pennsylvania Association for Justice and the Northeastern PA Trial Lawyers Association.
The descendant of coal miners and military veterans, Bruce grew up in Dunmore, PA. After graduating from Penn State University with honors with a degree in Administration of Justice, Bruce went on to attend Duquesne Law School. After law school, Bruce spent five years in Philadelphia at the law firm of Brobyn & Forceno, where he tried his first personal injury and product liability cases. He and his wife, Carla, returned to Northeast PA to start a family in 1989. After working for two years at Fine, Wyatt and Carey, Bruce joined Powell Law in 1992. In 2002, Bruce became a full partner at Powell Law. Residents of Moscow, PA, Bruce and Carla are now the proud parents of four children: Alexandra, Sarah, Matthew and Andrew.
In 2022, Bruce and his partners, James J. Powell III and James F. Mundy, have restructured as Powell, Zero & Mundy, Attorneys at Law.
Among Attorney Zero’s most notable victories are a $5.9 million verdict against Ford Motor Company in an air bag failure to deploy case. Cancelleri v. Ford Motor Company, Lackawanna County Court of Common Pleas, 11-CV-6060. Pennsylvania Supreme Court case of Pennsylvania State Police v. WCAB (Bushta) Attorney Zero argued before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court which held that a State Police officer injured in the line of duty receiving Heart and Lung Benefits, were not subject to subrogation by the Pennsylvania State Police against his settlement with a third-party tortfeasor.
Education & Certifications
- The Pennsylvania State University, Bachelor’s Degree in Administration of Justice
- Duquesne University Law School, Juris Doctor
- Admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar, 1984
- Admitted to the New Jersey Bar, 1986
- Admitted to Practice Before the U.S. District Courts for the Middle and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania
- Admitted to Practice before New Jersey State Courts and U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit of Pennsylvania
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. Supreme Court
Board Positions and Appointments
- The Pennsylvania Lawyers Fund for Clients Security – Appointed by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, 2020
- Lackawanna County Pro Bono Inc., Board Member
- Pennsylvania Association of Justice, Board Member
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Board Member
- Lackawanna County Planning Commission, Board Member, 2008-2021
- Lackawanna Bar Association Civil Rules Committee
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, Mediator
- Moscow Borough Solicitor, 1992 – present
- Lackawanna County Elderly Law Project Solicitor, 2008 – present
- Lackawanna Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Northeastern PA – Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Borough Solicitors Association
Awards & Certifications
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2007 – present
- Board Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist and Pre-Trial Civil Practice by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Lackawanna Pro Bono Equal Access to Justice Award
- Pennsylvania Personal Injury
- Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Construction Site Injuries
- Social Security Disability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Municipal Law
- Moscow Borough, Solicitor, 1992-Present
- Lackawanna County Area Agency on Aging, Elder Law Project Solicitor
- Springbrook Township, Solicitor, 2002-2012